Friday, January 8, 2010

Peace at Home

Spectators at the Parade by Norman Rockwell

"I want a little piece of peace."

People go lots of places in search of peace: a mountain top, a bubble bath, a voting booth, a garden, a museum, a convent. We all long for peace, but few of us have much enthusiasm for doing what actually creates it. Peace isn't like an unexpected rain shower; it is achieved deliberately. And luckily we don't have to wait for the whole world to be at peace to live in a peaceful world.

As a new bride I decided to create a home where our family could retreat from the tension and conflict of daily life. I had some great ideas of what this peaceful haven would be like. Interestingly, Dee had different great ideas. We discussed, then debated, then argued.

A war happens when one side wants their own way more than they want peace, and I was willing to go to war—lay down my life, if need be—to prevail. Dee wanted peace. I wanted to win, but I actually wanted more than that; I wanted to be right. It took me a while to realize that I was the cause of tension and conflict even while I was trying to carry out my dream of peace. I didn't understand that peace involved more than agreeing on a Christmas tree or who should wash the dishes.

Peace is not just an absence of hostilities, it is a state of mind; a decision to be cheerful, understanding, kind, loving and lovable.

"Men who cry for peace sometimes look upon peace as something that may be picked as an apple from a tree, something that lies about within easy reach of humanity. If I pick an apple from a tree, I have first planted the tree, cared for it, watered it, brought it to maturity. Then in due time I may have the fruit.

"So with peace. It is not a thing by itself to be picked up casually, but it is the fruit of something sown.

"Peace can only be obtained by the use of a body of principles which, if obeyed, in time would give us peace. Jesus Christ is the Prince of Peace. There is the way to peace."
---John A. Widtsoe


I love the Young Women's succinct list of Christ's teachings. When I apply them to myself, and remember they apply to others, the result is peace, in every circumstance.
  1. Faith (The Lord will bless me.)
  2. Divine Nature (I am a child of God.)
  3. Individual Worth (I have something worthwhile to contribute.)
  4. Knowledge (I must search for wisdom and truth, and learn from experience.)
  5. Choice and Accountability (I will take responsibility for my choices.)
  6. Good Works (I will serve others gladly.)
  7. Integrity (I will be honest in my dealings, and repent when I fall short.)
  8. Virtue (I will strive to be pure in my actions and thoughts.)
Eleanor Roosevelt said, "It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work for it."

My marriage, my family, my home, my neighborhood: this is where I work for it. I want world peace, but I'm more likely to make a difference in my own little piece of the world.

8 comments:

Diane said...

Amen. I've worked in YW for years and years. It finally clicked with me the same way about the values as you mention. If only everyone could catch that vision.

Without peace at home, there would not be peace to grow throughout the world. Thanks for helping me remember this.

Kay Dennison said...

Amen!!!!!! What I want is peace in my soul and then I'll work from there.

Misty said...

I so love the way you write. Thank you for this post!

Astyn said...

I am new to your blog...but love your writing. It is beautifull touching. Thanks for sharing. Would that we could all create more peace in our own piece of the world.

Lora said...

Lovely post. Thank you.

Heather Scott Partington said...

:)

diane said...

I want a peace of that action.

My favorite hymn is Where Can I Turn for Peace. Probably because I'm always searching.

Your blog gives me peace.

~j. said...

This is golden.