Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Travel Studies Seminar: Sidewalks of New York


This is a tour with all the trimmings.


Button up,


Because we're not taking a cab;



We'd miss too much.



Architecture,



Art,


Revolving doors to pricey jewels,



And open doors to pricey junk.



New York's finest guard the sidewalks,



But you might see some weird tourists!


Homework: Do any or all or be inspired:


~Make a list of things you'd like to do on a rainy day. Ideas: Learn to play chess, teach the kids to make paper airplanes, clean out the fridge, watch Singin' in the Rain and dance around with a yellow umbrella. Now, prepare a rainy-day-kit with the stuff you need. Wait for it to rain.



~Walk around your neighborhood and take pictures of the little things. Now, create a Bingo card with the photos (or just write your discoveries on a list.) Get a few flashlights and go on a scavenger hunt for your Halloween Party. When you get home, shape Pillsbury refrigerator biscuits into donuts, fry them and drizzle with icing. Serve with the hot spiced cider that's making your house smell so good.



~Carve up some pumpkins to trim your own sidewalk. (These were made by scraping the pumpkin thin in spots, without cutting all the way through.) Take a million photos and post them on your blog. Now, wash the pumpkin seeds, spread them on a cookie sheet, toast them in the oven for a few minutes, and sprinkle with salt.

~Skip Halloween altogether and go to New York City!


*If you do any part of this assignment on your blog, please link it back to TravelinOma and provide proper attribution. Leave a comment here (with a link to your homework if you want to share it) and/or a link to your blog (so we can get to know you.) School Days has open enrollment so join anytime. No make-up work required! If you're new, click here for an orientation.



15 comments:

Jake said...

Your photos look great! Thanks for a fun time...

Christie said...

Looks like a fabulous weekend! Color me green with envy...

kenju said...

There is something interesting on every corner in NYC!! Love seeing your take on it through photos.

ELLOUISESTORY said...

So glad you stopped carrying gear and started taking pictures. These really capture the flavor and visual excitment of a walk in NYC.
Thanks for reminding me.

crissy // mama boss said...

I wish I could skip Halloween with a trip to NY! I've only been once (nearly 5 years ago) and I hardly have any pictures because all I had at the time was a disposable and I had to preserve film for really important stuff.
You're pictures have only increased my constant desire to return to the big city.

Mrs. O said...

You have no idea how badly I'd like to follow through on suggestion #3. The architcture and people watching there are second to none.

b. said...

You have made me HOMESICK for the streets of Manhattan!

Diane said...

Give up Halloween for NYC? That's a no-brainer for me. I'd take NYC anytime. But I've never been - I'd have to bring you along to be my guide!
Here's today's assignment
wk 9 day 2

diane said...

I wish it would rain here, alas we are in an endless drought.

Fun photos.

I really wish I could do the last assignment.

audrey said...

I love NYC as well. I'd love to go back...

Here.

Tiffany said...

I love your pictures, but I adore your commentary!

dalene said...

i love a rainy day. i never want to call in sick at work on sunny days, but rainy days make me want to stay in my pajamas, make homemade hot cocoa and curl up with a good book. rainy days are also good for housecleaning or for lingering over lunch with a bunch of good friends. i actually indulged in that last one just today--long after everyone else left and the restaurant technically had closed between the lunch and dinner hour. it was lovely!

Valerie C. said...

Can I submit a "late" homework! I always love the first snowy day..the one where it really snows and the snow lasts for a few days! (Actually I can only love that day if it after November 1st.)

Fun blog, I need to check back more often.

~j. said...

When you give options like these, it makes it easy to choose!

debby said...

i love a good rainy day!

rainy days