Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Book Shelf Seminar: Mother Goose

Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose

Ten reasons why Mother Goose is my Hero.
  1. She's old but still productive.
  2. She compiles historic events, political cartoons and accounts of daily life into easy-to-remember rhymes.
  3. She understands women who have so many children they don't know what to do.
  4. She says, "Leave them alone, and they will come home..."
  5. She's loved by children and trusted by adults.
  6. She encourages Merry Old Souls.
  7. She has a healthy fear of spiders.
  8. She has an antidote for stress: "Bake me a cake as fast as you can!"
  9. She gives wise marriage counseling. (Refer to Jack Sprat)
  10. She might be made up, and she might be real, but she's worthwhile either way.


Last Halloween.



Extra touches:
"Diddle Diddle Dumpling....went to bed with his stockings on, one shoe off and one shoe on..."



"Ladybug, Ladybug, fly away home..."



"Lucy Locket lost her pocket..."

OK. She's not Winston Churchill, Sheri Dew or Eleanor Roosevelt. But I bet you quote Old Mother Goose occasionally. How else would you remember how many days April has?

Do you have a favorite version of Mother Goose?





The Real Mother Goose







Mother Goose



Take this quiz to see if you need a refresher course.

1. Who went up the hill?

Mother Goose
Little Boy Blue
Jack and Jill
Simple Simon

2. Who lost her sheep?

Little Bo Peep
Mistress Mary
Mary
Little Miss Muffet

3. Who could eat no lean?

Jack Sprat
Jack Sprat's wife
Mother Goose
Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater

4. Who ran away when the boys came out to play?

Humpty Dumpty
Georgie Porgie
Little Jack Horner
Little Bo Peep

5. Who sat on a wall?

All the King's Horses
Jack Sprat
Mistress Mary
Humpty Dumpty

6. Who was under the haystack fast asleep?

Little Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe
Humpty Dumpty
Little Boy Blue
Little Jack Horner

7. Whose cupboard was bare?

Little Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe
Jack Sprat
Old Mother Hubbard
Georgie Porgie

8. Who had a wife and couldn't keep her?

Little Jack Horner
Old King Cole
Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
Jack Sprat

9. Who called for his pipe, bowl and fiddlers?

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
Simple Simon
Humpty Dumpty
Old King Cole

10. Who lived in a shoe?

Little Old Woman
Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
Old King Cole
Jack Sprat


My Very First Mother Goose

Homework: Do any or all or be inspired.

~If you dressed up as one of your heroes, who would it be? List 10 reasons why.

~See how many nursery rhymes you can recite to a baby you know.

~Who are three of your favorite children's book illustrators?


*If you do any part of this assignment on your blog, please link it back to TravelinOma and provide proper attribution. Leave a comment here (with a link to your homework if you want to share it) and/or a link to your blog (so we can get to know you.) School Days has open enrollment so join anytime. No make-up work required! If you're new, click here for an orientation.



12 comments:

diane said...

You my dear are awe inspiring. Do you dress up every year?

Last year I was sick and tired. I think this year I will go with the same costume. It's easy. Roll out of bed and call it a costume.

I could dress up like you cause you are my hero.

People think I look like Kate Gosselin. Not my hero but she does have good hair.

kenju said...

I think you ARE Mother Goose!

clair said...

I only missed one on the quiz, i feel proud about that. My fave Mother Goose version is by Mary Engelbreit. She is so talented in every way.

polly said...

passed the quiz! I guess it's who I spend my time with. Love your costumes.

Diane said...

So many choices! So fun to think about. Here's what I ended up with.
wk 9 day 3

audrey said...

Thanks for the post! It helped me solve a problem I have been stumped on for quite some time. You can read about it here.

the wrath of khandrea said...

please tell me you work in some capacity in an elementary school. honestly, what an asset you would be! come to my classroom. in costume, please.

Kristie said...

My roommates and I sang a bunch of elementary school songs like John Jacob Jingle Heimer Smith, This Old Man, and There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, etc. So fun! Your post just reminded me of it. :)

dalene said...

great costume--i particularly love the purse.

i am much more dr. seuss than mother goose (but i've got the rhyming down either way).

i don't know that i could list three favorite illustrators, but guy francis is my friend and neighbor and he and his wife are heroes of mine as well. it takes courage to give up the steady paycheck that comes from a cubicle and a nine-to-five in order to pursue your dream, but he did it and with her blessing and i say good for them.

too many people slug away at jobs they don't enjoy or they leave their dreams behind every morning when they wake up. i love it when someone just goes for it!

Miranda said...

I heart Mother Goose. I worry when some of my younger clients have never heard some of these rhymes. You can be sure that my little gal will know them all!

~j. said...

These posts are helpful to me -- almost caught up!

debby said...

i love a good children's book illustrator.

children's book illustrators