Friday, October 9, 2009

School of Thought Seminar: Little Boy Lost


Sam

The elevator opened and out walked a little boy. He was all alone, about two years old, with a binky firmly plugged in his mouth. I said, "Hi! Who do you belong to?" He just looked at me and started toddling towards the hall, like he knew where he was going. I took his hand and said, "Let's go find your mom."

He wasn't worried, or afraid of me. He didn't even know he was lost. I wondered if anyone knew he was lost. Our building has eight floors, each with 35 apartments, and three elevators. Plus our apartment complex has a second, taller building connected with a hallway. There's an additional entrance lobby over there, and there are underground parking levels for both buildings. This little guy could have come from anywhere! Maybe he'd just wandered out his front door and caught a ride, and nobody had noticed his getaway.

I punched all the buttons and we rode down together, holding hands. At each stop I stepped out and looked around, and then we continued our ride. Finally the door opened on a woman who was crying, hanging onto three little kids of various ages, frantically talking to one of our managers. I knew we'd found Mom. She scooped up my little friend and hugged him, saying to me, "Thank you, oh thank you so much!"

It turns out they were visiting someone, and while the mom was figuring out which way to go, her little boy disappeared. The elevator must have opened, he walked in unnoticed, and when I rang for it on the 7th floor, the doors closed and he was on his way. It had only been a minute or two, but when you've lost your baby, that's a long, long time.

Have you ever wandered into a part of your life and felt lost? Or maybe you didn't even know you were lost yet, but others noticed you were missing and set out to find you. I think it happens a lot. We get caught in the thick of thin things, and lose sight of our priorities.

I read somewhere that on a regular basis we should ask ourselves:
  1. Who are the most important people in my life? Do they know it by my actions?
  2. What is my #1 goal right now? Did I spend any time this week working towards it?
  3. What's an activity that makes me happy? When was the last time I did it?
  4. Am I contributing something positive to the world? What?
  5. Am I becoming who I want to be?
We all get off on the wrong floor occasionally, and wander purposefully, though aimlessly until someone points out that maybe we're lost. Here's to finding the way back!

Homework: Do any or all or be inspired.

~Answer any of the five questions above in your journal or on your blog.


*If you do any part of this assignment on your blog, please link it back to TravelinOma and provide proper attribution. Leave a comment here (with a link to your homework if you want to share it) and/or a link to your blog (so we can get to know you.) School Days has open enrollment so join anytime. No make-up work required! If you're new, click here for an orientation.

11 comments:

The Grandmother Here said...

At the end of the day when you ask yourself if you were of service to anyone today, you have a resounding YES.

Do you remember the Brite Music song that taught children who were lost to "look for a grandma or a mother with children"? An Oma can be your savior.

Misty said...

I loved this post -- thank you!! I'm doing the assignment in my journal...probably because my answers will be less than satisfying. Although, don't we always feel that way? Like there's so much more we can and should be doing?
Thanks for helping me focus on what matters most!
(It's good to have you back!)

kenju said...

Thanks you for daily reminding me what I need to remember.

audrey said...

I love these five questions! I will keep them in mind when I reevaluate my life from now on.

Here.

the wrath of khandrea said...

this was good for me today. very good. i seriously wish i had the time to do some writing right now.

i like that you are doing this. even though i only get to read the posts, they still make me think.

Ginger said...

I can't answer this in a blog, but I'm writing about them in my journal. This series has been so much fun and quite thought provoking for me.

Miranda said...

Thank you for this one Oma. I will be doing this one in my journal with my husband by my side.

Mrs. O said...

I had a completely different idea in mind when I started writing this. I've tucked it away for another day. This is what I needed to say this time.

dalene said...

thanks.

done (privately).

i think this should catch me up. which is better than giving up!

tawnya said...

http://drawntotheflame.blogspot.com/2009/10/its-sin.html

Less scary than anticipated, but still not fun!

~j. said...

I postedhere, even though it was privately done.