Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kidspeak

Jess
June 2008


I went swimming with my little granddaughters the other day. We all came home in our soggy swimsuits, and as Jess (5) walked in, she stripped hers off quickly, and ran bare-naked through the kitchen. I pulled the strap off my shoulder and said, "I'm going to do that, too!" Five giant pairs of eyes stared at me in horror! "No, Oma! No!"

Hannah Banana, Spring 2008
Photo by Stie

It was 8:30 PM and the boys were laughing and silly as they played a game. Hannah twirled around the living room in her jammies, giggling. Their mom said, "Time for bed!" All the merriment came to an abrupt halt, replaced by sudden gloom. "I'm starving," said Chase as he doubled over in agony. He pulled a can from the pantry. "Can we make some soup?"

McKay, suddenly disoriented, staggered down the hall towards his toothbrush. Hannah's dance moves melted into a memory, as she clutched at her neck and moaned. "My throat hurts."

"Then you better go to bed!" said Mom. "I don't want to see you until morning." Hannah sulked out of the room, and then wailed, "But what if I'm bleeding?"

Grandkids are the reward for having kids.


5 comments:

Ashlee said...

Wow...I've got a long time to go before I get to appreciate my grandkids! :0) Hopefully I make it through my kids alive to see them! :)

Beck said...

LOL! Kids are so funny!

K.M. Saint James said...

What a great story to share. I remember those nights, everyone warm and wonderful until it was time for bed and then suddenly no amount of luring headed them to bed. I like your daughter's answer -- see me in the morning! Funny, that's pretty much what I told mind and as they've all survived until teenage-hood and beyond, it must have been a good answer.

One Love Photo said...

What sweet little cutie pies!

Ink Poison said...

Every night my daughter starts listing her "owies." My throat hurts! This little scratch hurts so bad! I say, You're still going to bed, sweetie.