Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lifesavers


♫ Search, Ponder and Pray ♫

My favorite way to start the morning is to wake up a few minutes before the alarm and just lay there and ponder. I think through my family list and remember (or wonder) what's going on with each one. Ideas start popping of how I can do what I need to do, and I pop up, too, ready to start.

When I was a little girl we always said a morning prayer. I still can't begin the day without one. I pray out loud (to keep my train of thought) and count my blessings. Then I outline what's on my schedule, and ask for specific things ("Help me say the right thing when I call Edith . . ." "Give me extra energy for the grandkids . . .") A prayer in the morning lifts my spirits, and gives me a desire to do something worthwhile that day.

During breakfast I search the scriptures for an encouraging nugget of wisdom that feels right to me. It's my soul food.

But mornings didn't always melt in my mouth. Sometimes they sucked.

"Mornin' time"

In my full-time motherhood days my early-morning routine was trounced by 2 am earaches and 5 am feedings. Hysterical arguing, giggling or crying replaced the alarm clock, and I rolled out of bed onto the daily merry-go-round.

The only time it was quiet enough to ponder was when I vacuumed up the spilled Cheerios, and I wasn't thinking kind thoughts. Instead of blessings, I counted seven lunches, seven backpacks and fourteen shoes. Sometimes we had a family devotional. But often I just recited a scripture after somebody said a prayer in the car as we drove to school. It was the McDonald's version of soul food.

Life has different flavors. Back then I was doing more and pondering less. Prayers were constant, but silent. I was gaining wisdom through experience—experience that has made my study now more meaningful.

Search, ponder and pray: three sweet, simple suggestions. And whether they are crunched in quick bites or savored slowly, they are lifesavers.



17 comments:

Jenny P. said...

On the eve of the delivery of my fifth baby, I really, really needed to read this. Thank you for putting it so beautifully.

Christie said...

That picture is classic. I love it. Looks just like real life.

Raejean said...

I know learning is in the living, and I've come a long way since my kiddos were super little. I still wish I could have given my older children what I'm giving my younger children, spiritually that is!

audrey said...

Thank you. This is just what I needed after I was awake twice in the night with my small children and - as always - they were my alarm clock this morning as well.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness and willingness to follow the promptings you feel. Those promptings often bless my life as I read your blog.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm impressed at the ability to locate 14 shoes. most people can rarely find one of two when it comes to their kids.

and i giggled when you said mornings sucked. rest assured i am one who appreciates your attempts at genteel profanity.

Anonymous said...

I love love love that photo of you. It's priceless.

I adore you.

marta said...

what a cute post. a little prayer is quite the lifesaver, isn't it?! you really amaze with all you've done and lived through!

lifesavers will forever and always remind me of you. as do neccos. i love that you passed a lifesaver down to each of us on the row at church.

p.s. dan and i couldn't stop talking about your happy news; he has loads of ideas for you. let us know if you ever need more jj inspiration.

Heather Scott Partington said...

What a thoughtful post (in a string of thoughtful posts, though I've just made it over here from my reader to make a comment. Apologies.) Your writing always brightens my day, and I appreciate that you put so much care into it. Have a great day!

Jake said...

Great post. I will forward it to my RS President...so she can quote you again!!

Sheri said...

Thank you, thank you. I REALLY needed this lesson today. Did you write it for me? Bless you.

Kay Dennison said...

I need a life saver!!! It's been that kind of day!

Diane said...

I love your morning prayers these days - aloud, reviewing your day. Mine need a boost, and I think I'll add your method to my paltry version. It will be a boon in many ways.

(I remember when a pack of life-savers was 5 cents!)

Misty said...

Holy cats, just what I needed today. You're an angel and an inspiration.

Heidi said...

Lifesavors are definitely you mom. That's the perfect tie in - i love it.

polly said...

love your post. your ideas always helped me with my kids and they help me now!

InkMom said...

I've read this post about a dozen times now. It boosts me a little more every time. Thanks!

Sarah said...

What a great post. I love the idea of telling Heavenly Father our agenda -- I need to be better about taking more time to ponder. Thanks for the reminder.