Thursday, February 28, 2008

Track! What Track?

Train Tracks 1977

Josh adored trains. We lived close to some railroad tracks and a train chugged past every night at 5 pm, and again at midnight. His nose was smashed against the window pane at the first whistle each evening. Often, when we'd return late after a movie, we'd see two blue eyes sparkling between his white bedroom curtains, waiting for the train.

"Bump to the train tracks!" he'd beg whenever we were in the car. Dee drove across and always backed over them too, so we could get a double dose of the delight provided by the tires jostling over the rails. Saturdays we drove around in search of lights flashing at a train crossing, hoping to count the cars between the engine and the caboose.

I remember one day as we were driving along Dee and I were discussing getting a puppy. I said, "When we train it, we could..." Three-year-old Josh interrupted with an excited "Train! What train?" I laughed and remarked, "Josh, you have a one-track mind!" Whereupon he squealed, "Track! What track?"

I've got a one-track mind, too. We're planning a trip to Austria right now, and we'll be riding a few trains. I'm so excited! It's hard to concentrate on anything else. The maps are out, the books are open, the new shoes are broken in...we don't leave for two weeks, but I'm already in training, hoisting my suitcase over my head ten times a day. It's fun to know there's a switch up ahead, and we'll be going in a new direction for a while.

What track are you on right now?

(Thanks to Annie for featuring me today on Letters to a Parent.)

8 comments:

Jake said...

What is it with boys and trains?! The twins are obsessed...particularly Sam.

I am so excited for your trip. Post details please...

kenju said...

I loved the trains in Europe, and I know you will love that trip!

SaraLynn said...

My son would be in absolute heaven to watch trains all day long! They fascinate him.
As for your hair looking cute, I empathize! i moved a few years ago and have yet to get a decent haircut! I tried it once and was so devastated at the result that i haven't been anywhere! So it is long and in a clip most days! I wear it down on "special days",heehee! Too much trouble when you have little ones.
Thanks for commenting on my blog.And I will keep reading your stories. I love it!

Christie said...

I've always loved that story about Josh. His personality is still like that today (just not necessarily focused on trains). I am so jealous of your trip. You will have SO MUCH FUN!

Ashlee said...

Austria sounds wonderful! I'd love to take a fun trip. Too many things to tie me down at the moment. But one day....

Jenibelle said...

My husband served his mission in Austria and loved it. It's gorgeous and I'm jealous.
Trains are one thing we have never had an obsession with. Now tractors...

kelly said...

i'm jealous of your upcoming trip, i wish i could stow away in your suit case. do you think you could still hoist it with me in it?

Bridget said...

Bon Voyage! Sounds like a fun trip ahead.