Sunday, August 26, 2007

Wallow In It

Got your attention, didn't I? If you're of a certain age, this was sitting on top of your hi-fi back in the day. The girl got the guy's attention, but it was Herb Alpert who got mine. Did you ever see him singing This Guy's in Love With You and then playing his trumpet? I mean....

Check out the Number One Songs for the year you were eighteen and wallow in memories. It will be like rolling around in whipped cream!

I'm listing five of my high school favorites:
  1. Love is Blue: Paul Mauriat (Doesn't that tune come right back??)
  2. Winchester Cathedral: The New Vaudeville Band ("Do-de-oh-do")
  3. Light My Fire: The Doors ("F-i-y-a!")
  4. These Boots Are Made For Walkin': Frank and Nancy Sinatra (white vinyl boots anyone?)
  5. I'm Henry the VIII: Herman's Hermits ("I'm 'er eighth old man, I'm 'enery...")
I remember cleaning up Christmas to Love is Blue, and being in the back seat of Natalie's yellow and black GTO singing "Come on baby, light my fire..." with a bunch of boy-crazy girls. Is there anything like music to take you back? C'mon, "Sing, Sing a Song!"
(Thanks Kris!)

5 comments:

MissKris said...

Oh, Marty! I LOVED your list...and even tho I'm a few years younger than you, I remember every single one of them. With my oldest brother being 6 years older than me, rock 'n' roll was a big part of my childhood from the get-go. I even remember his "Meet the Rolling Stones" album! Tho all he had to play it on was a dinky little record player at the time, ha! One of my friends in junior high had an older brother whose best friend looked a lot like Peter Noone of "Herman's Hermits". When the band came to Portland, Bob and this friend and several others went to the airport to see if they could spot the band coming in. Well, all the little teeny-boppers spotted Bob's FRIEND and thought HE was Herman! Caused quite a stir at ol' PDX, hahaha! I enjoyed my trip down YOUR memory lane, too. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it! (((((HUG))))))

meanderings said...

Hi Marty,

I've thoroughly enjoyed your memories of living in England. My dad was transferred there in 1961 and although we lived in American Housing, it was an experience. I went to an English School - uniforms, knickers (!), etc... just thinking about it makes me smile. Your postings have been great fun to read.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh these songs.....what a rush! Thanks for the nostalgic hit Marty.

Betty said...

I was eighteen in the year of the silly songs, I guess. "Witch Doctor - oo-ee-oo-ahah, bing-bang walla-walla bing-bang" "Purple People Eater - It was a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people-eater" and "The Chipmunk Song - Hey, Alvin ....ALVIN!!"

Rebecca said...

I remember a couple of those songs! I was a HUGE Doors fan, thought a titch too young to have heard it new. Here is the 1966 list:

1 Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra
2 I'm A Believer - the Monkees
3 When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
4 Wild Thing - The Troggs
5 Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
6 This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
7 Devil With The Blue Dress - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
8 Yellow Submarine - the Beatles
9 Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations
10 Jenny Take A Ride - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels