Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Spa Ah-h-h

A sorority of frazzled women, that's what we were. Toenails chipped, cuticles bitten, dead skin clinging like lint to our unexfoliated bodies, eyes puffed up like marshmallows--it wasn't pretty.

Our benefactress offered hope. A Spa Day.

All the women in my family were treated to this indulgence by my sister who is already radiant both inside and out. We were rubbed and scrubbed, wrapped and polished until our inner beauty started to shine through.

Sixteen of us awaited our various treatments in the Relaxation Sanctuary. Therapists called our names and whisked us individually to dimmed rooms, fragranced by eucalyptus and rosemary, where haunting Celtic melodies eased our frantic minds.

One by one we emerged, loosened and untightened so much we felt we would melt. Lunch and group therapy (the old fashioned kind provided by gossipy aunts) followed.

I could actually feel my wrinkles being smoothed away. My heels were soft and my cheeks were glowing. I don't think the valet parking guy even recognized me. The exfoliation process had eliminated layers of skin and I felt several pounds lighter. The Spa Day had done it's magic and I was a new woman...or at least a new version of an old one.
Thanks, Jo!

15 comments:

Christie said...

That sounds so heavenly!

anna jo said...

yes, it was a magical day!

marta said...

agreed! it was the most perfect way to reunite and relax. so wonderful to get together and be pampered! what a fabulous gift. glad we could all be together!

mama jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mama jo said...

in my previous comment that i deleted...i wrote that marta looked like the first picture...but, realized it was the hands...i was thinking of the girl....sorry...you look just like the girl...to get on with my comment...it was a wonderful day...loved it...

mama jo said...

congrats on your new daughter in law...durga

Unknown said...

Glad I found this blog today. Enjoyed the read and the photos.

Here comes an invitation to visit my blog--this week if possible--as my "Spotlight the Youth" contest ends Friday, and lots of votes are needed to make it work. So please spread the word.

Thanks so much.

gramakas said...

Wow, what a treat! and such generosity on Jolyn's part... very special.

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful treat!

Jake said...

you are sooo lucky...i hope my younger sisters are getting good ideas!

anna jo said...

btw, marty, where did you find that first picture?? (yes, the hands, not the girl)

I am in love with it! *stealing photo as we speak* *...or type*

MissKris said...

I guess I'm still a tomboy thru and thru. I go barefoot about 11 1/2 months out of the year...I've never had my nails done, my toes done. I don't wear make up. My hair is silvery-white. The bottoms of my feet are like leather. Is there hope for me?

Polly said...

Haven't had such a lovely day for a long time! What a treat, and I couldn't ask for better company.

kelly said...

it was absolutely wonderful. i don't know what i enjoyed more... the treatments or the company provided by all you gals!

Tip Junkie said...

WOW! What a wonderful gift. I'm glad you were pampered a little and feel appreciated.