Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Think I Can...I Think I Can

Do you have a mountain to climb? I am so impressed by people who just keep on chugging. Kelly (who is too young to have such wisdom!) recently posted some advice that is worth repeating:

"Often times my happiness seems to get caught up in the whens and ifs of life. I will be happy when..., or my life will be complete if... On such occasions I like to remember the words of Gordon B. Hinckley:
Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just ordinary people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise...

Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust cinders, and jolts--interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

5 comments:

mama jo said...

i loved this post...you're right about kelly...of course, she is my daughter....but, i love that thought from gordon b....we do have to live each day as if it's the last...don't wait until you're old and gray...have fun in the here and now...

Christie said...

I love that quote so much. Such a great reminder!

Kay Dennison said...

Awesome post!!!!!!!

K.M. Saint James said...

And what a great ride life is. I don't want to get to the end of my days and wish I'd paid more attention to everything sweet (and not so sweet) that surrounded me.

When my children were young, I learned that the floor would always need sweeping, there were endless piles of laundry, and no matter how often I dusted, the bunnies came right back. But those moments when my children loved baking cookies with mom, sword-fight dueling, running through the water sprinkler . . . well those were only blinks in time. And I had better darn well appreciate them.

I may never reach big goals, but boy oh boy, I'll have enjoyed the ride.

Thanks for reminding us of this important fact.

kelly said...

it makes me feel good that i've even inspired you!