Thursday, May 17, 2007

This Says it All

There was a woman in front of me at Dillards waiting to buy a skirt. The cashier was helping a teenage girl who had decided on a dress, and she asked if she could put it on hold for a few days. The sales lady said she couldn't hold anything longer than 24 hours. The girl seemed very disappointed and explained that she didn't get paid until Friday, so she wouldn't be able to buy the dress.

The woman in front of me spoke up. "I'll buy it for you." We all looked at her in surprise, as she said again, "Let me buy it for you." The girl quickly said, "Oh, no! I couldn't let you do that!" The woman explained, "I had a daughter about your age who was killed in a car accident last year. I'd love to buy her a dress. Let me do it for you."

The sales lady and I both had tears in our eyes as the girl hugged her new friend. It was such a sweet act, so unexpected and kind. I won't forget it.

10 comments:

marta said...

that is so so sweet! unexpected generosity is so nice to witness. thanks for sharing.

Bev said...

reminding us to practice random acts of kindness.....

what a beautiful act of giving!

Christie said...

truly amazing. what a sweet blessing for all!

Jake said...

I love that story...I want to be both of those people, the one who gave generously and the lucky one who got the new dress!

Annie said...

that is absolutely lovely.

Anonymous said...

You were fortunate to be present when that "present was given."

And now you have given us a present!!

mama jo said...

that's an amazing story...we should all be so kind

Anonymous said...

Last year my daughter, Carol, and I landed at Heathrow Airport and went to the 'Tube" ticket booth and bought a weekly pass good for all transport in London. We met a young fellow who was going home to Germany after working all Summer at a camp for handicapped children in Canada.He asked us for directions and when we looked at his ticket it was not written for Heathrow, it was for Luton Airport, just North of London to Frankfurt. We told him to take the tube and started to explain where to transfer when he said he couldn't do that because he had misjudged his money and was now completely broke. Carol did not hesitate a second. She bought him a tube pass, told him where to transfer and insisted on giving him 10 pounds to buy something to eat.
He was so grateful and felt so good but not half as good as we felt.

MissKris said...

This brings to mind the scripture about "entertaining angels unawares". I always took that to mean it pays to be kind to everyone because we never know when we might truly BE entertaining an angel, unaware of the fact. Well, there was no 'entertaining' going on with this sweet soul but she sounds like an angel to me!

kelly said...

wow, that is awesome. how lucky and special both ladies must have felt. this is definitely a story that gets you thinking, and looking for those opportunities to help others.