Saturday, April 12, 2008

Who Cares?

I'm reading a great book called Writing the Memoir, by Judith Barrington. She quotes Gore Vidal as saying "A memoir is how one remembers one's own life, while an autobiography is history, requiring research, dates, and facts double-checked." I love this definition. It defines my blog style as a memoir.

Barrington concedes that many of us are put off writing a memoir because we've been asked, or asked ourselves, "Who cares about this? Who will be interested in reading my story?"

"The question should be Why do I care about this? The answer will make you feel entitled to tell your own story, to accept that it is not only worthy of being written down but something you want to revise and craft until it is beautiful. In time you will even come to believe that your story is important for other people to read.

"Once you are comfortable with writing, put aside thoughts of agents, publishers, audience, fame and fortune--none of which is conducive to good writing. Start thinking right away about what matters in your own life--what has most challenged you, formed you, influenced you. Start making lists and notes. And from time to time ask yourself who cares, and remind yourself: you do."

Good advice!


3 comments:

SaraLynn said...

Brilliant!
Thanks for sharing this :)

Tina said...

that is amazing advice, I am a wanna be writer, thinking I have nothing of value to "say" but I thank you for those wise words. Now I feel that I have something to say if only for my children and their children. I love your writing and check you everyday! Thanks for your inspiring words!

Tiffany said...

I needed this. Thanks!