Monday, January 17, 2011

Creation Station

My creation station

Everyone can create. We don’t need an office, a computer, or even a desk to create something of substance. Dieter F. Uchtdorf said this in a talk to women:
The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

You might say, 'I’m not the creative type.' If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very souls were fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God? Think about it—you are a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination.

You may think you don’t have talents, but that is a false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us. The bounds of creativity extend far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter.

What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside.

If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it.

As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you.

What will you create today?

7 comments:

Christie said...

Beautiful. I love that.

Raejean said...

I'm creating a Streusel Coffee Cake as I type!

Diane said...

Today I hope to create a joyful time with my grandchildren.

Sheri said...

I love this talk by Elder Uchtdorf. I have always let myself be paralyzed by the fear of failure. I know I'm creative, but my mind is very disorganized! And I know the voice of critic comes from the inside.

Today, I would love to create an interesting and "cute" blog like yours---but I'm never satisfied with what I do! Help. I'm schizophrenic!

How in the world did you create the header of your blog?!

Sheri said...

BTW--
Remember John Lambie from Oly? He is a new blogger (lives in Scotland).
http://johnlambie.blogspot.com/

Chiska said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Today is nearly past, but I created one organized book shelf. It has our Christmas and Winter Children's Books on it. It really feels nice. It's interesting to me how creating things always gets placed high on the "creativity list", but it is the things like organizing a shelf that give me the greatest satisfaction. Even knowing that at some point in the near future it will be undone.

polly said...

i'm creating warm memories for my grandchildren as they spend a sick day with their grama. Also i'm thinking up a special gift for a yw in my ward and coming up with a sharing time. using my mind coming up with creative ideas is something that happens daily, especially when involved in the church.