Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Book Shelf: Children's Library

We're going on a field trip!

It's Library Day. I hope you brought your lunch because we'll be on the road most of the time. I'm taking you to Pennsylvania to meet my favorite children's librarian.


This is my daughter, Gabi. She's our guest speaker today.
Click here and she'll introduce herself.

Three more excellent children's book posts by Gabi are:
If I Ran a Library, Picture Book Picnic, and Three Scary Stories.

"It's in books that most of us learn how splendidly worth-while life is."

We had a set of books called Books of Wonder when I was a little girl. Sitting on the heater vent in my pajamas, I got lost in the stories of Pandora, and Icarus. I memorized long poems like Little Orphant Annie, and Casey at the Bat, and parts of Hiawatha, and Evangeline because I read them so often. I loved the Little Maid books where I learned about Maine and Quebec and "Old Vermont." Those books evoke memories of rainy Saturday afternoons when I slumped in a chair cradled by pillows and explored faraway places. I met extraordinary people, and visited different cultures and times.


"My world began to expand very rapidly . . . the reading habit had got me securely."
—H. G. Wells

Seven little granddaughters came to play one day. When it was time to go I said, "As soon as the dress-ups are cleaned up, I have a surprise for you."

Rustling and bustling, seven mini-maids stuffed purses, scarves, hats and jewelry back in the trunks and rushed to sit in an expectant circle. "What is it?" "What are we getting, Oma?"

I told them the surprise was that they could each pick a book from Oma's Library and check it out. The bookplate would remind them to bring it back, and when they did, they'd get to choose another book to take home.

They cheered and clapped—it was almost like Christmas! (Actually it was like Christmas; they get a book then, too.)

Chloë suddenly looked apprehensive. "When is it due?" she asked. "Whenever you want," I answered. "But is there a fine?" "No," I said, "there's no fine."

Relief spread over her face, and she jumped up in excitement. "Mom! Mom! There's no fine!"

You may have tangible wealth untold:
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
But richer than I you can never be—
I had a mother who read to me.
---Strickland Gillilan

From Oma's Library

Let's put all the books away and get back on the bus.
We'll have some class discussion on our way home.

~Do you have recommendations for books that haven't been mentioned yet? Who would enjoy them: a little girl, a 10-year-old boy, the whole family? Is it a read-it-yourself, or a read-it-to-me type book?

~If you were giving just one book to an infant grandchild, what would it be? A friend suggested Clotilda by Jack Kent. I like A You're Adorable by Martha Alexander. What's your favorite?

~Do you remember a special book from your childhood? Who read it to you?

"Few children learn to love books by themselves.
Someone has to lure them into the wonderful world of the written word:
someone has to show them the way."
—Orville Prescott


*If you do any part of this assignment on your blog, please link it back to TravelinOma and provide proper attribution. Leave a comment here (with a link to your homework if you want to share it) and/or a link to your blog (so we can get to know you.) School Days has open enrollment so join anytime. No make-up work required! If you're new, click here for an orientation.




21 comments:

crissy // mama boss said...

I'm pretty sure I should be in bed, but since I'm still up I did my homework.

Christie said...

I used to do the same thing with my grandma - it was the Nancy Drew series that I'd check out, one book at a time. I loved those books - they smelled like her house and were such a happy memory for me.

dalene said...

oh the memories of a favorite childhood book.

my grandmother, who lived far away, used to send us a nickel for every book we read over the summer. i love grandmothers who find a way to encourage reading.

finally, here is my homework.

the wrath of khandrea said...

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

even though we have a gaming system, i loathe the fact that they have taken the place of books for so many of our children.

i just read a new book called "after tupac and d foster". i really enjoyed it. newberry honoree, geared towards 5th-7th grade. check it out. also just finished maniac magee. i really like books that touch on race issues.

that's the closest i can come to homework. does it count???

kelly said...

ahhh! books my favorite. as christie mentioned Nancy Drew's are always a must. some of my now favorite children's books include:

I Spy, An Alphabet in Art (Lucy Micklethwait)
Giraffes Can't Dance (Giles Andreae)
Starry Safari (Linda Ashman)


as for your font problem. you'll have to go into the edit html part of your post (to the left of compose) and you'll have to delete the html coding for the font... it's usually in <> call me if you want more specific help.

The Grandmother Here said...

I love picture books! Take a look at "Splat The Cat" by Rob Scotton. The pictures are soooooo funny.

talesofahummingbird said...

my favorite book memory is "My Father's Dragon" which my dad read to me many times. And also (funny, its a movie now!) "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs"....these are fantastic children's stories!

Jake said...

Thanks for coming!

Rebekah Writes said...

http://rebekahwritestoday.blogspot.com/
Haven't been doing too good with homework, but I really like this assignment! Thanks Oma!

Amanda said...

I recently had a baby shower where everyone brought their favorite children's book. At the time I didn't know what I was having so other gifts were a little bit more difficult. If I was going to a shower like this, I would buy a few... One is "Love you Forever". I had this book has a child and loved it. I would also buy all the "Llama Llama" books. They are so cute and sweet and have great lessons in them.

FriðrikssonS (and Parents) said...

A favorite of mine - and I have read it to every child I know - is "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" as told to Jon Scieszka ;). It is such a fun spin on the three pigs - teaches empathy (sorta), and has great illustrations.

Beck said...

Some I remember from my childhood:
~Ramona the Pest (Really, any of the Ramona series.)
~Green Eggs and Ham (Again, most Dr. Seuss are fantastic for young readers.)
~Curious George
~Winnie-the-Pooh

Some of my toddler daughter's favorites include:
~Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (out of print - got my copy on Amazon)
~Goodnight Moon (not exactly my favorite)
~Guess how much I love you?

Thanks for all the great suggestions! It looks like my library will be getting a little bigger very soon.

Mrs. O said...

I loved this assignment, I have my favorites and enjoy reading them with my children.

I think I'll share your idea of Oma's library with my mom and hope she runs with it.

audrey said...

Such a great topic! I could go on and on forever about this one.

By the way, for very small children, I love:

Pajama Time (by Sandra Boynton)and
Barnyard Dance (also by Sandra Boynton)

Here is my assignment.

Greek Goddess said...

Here is my link.

This was too much fun!!!!

Diane said...

My mother-in-law said, "I will never be able to keep up with fashion, or sizes. The grandchildren will get books." What a fabulous legacy. Her 50+ grandchildren all have their own little library by the time they leave home.

I didn't know where to start, or end on this one! "So many books, so little time".

week 3 assignment 3

Allison said...

I think the title of my post totally gives the book away...

link

KJ said...

http://sassypiggy.blogspot.com/2009/09/writing-assignment-childrens-library.html

I really could go on forever on this one...

CMN said...

Amusingly enough, I'm just back from a regular visit to my favorite local bookseller! I haven't read it yet, but here's a children's title that was just too amusing to pass up... "The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival: PETRONELLA SAVES NEARLY EVERYONE", by Dene Low.

'Saves NEARLY Everyone'?!? Why, that's just too good to pass up! LOL! And the charming, vintage-styled artwork is, well, charming! Definitely look it up when you have a chance...

~j. said...

Simple, yet one of my favorite books.

J, K, L, and D said...

I would choose "I Like You" by Sandol Stoddard. I love that book.

http://jarednkatie.blogspot.com/2009/10/homework-childrens-library.html