Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Overbite

Chase and friend

My advice:

Bite off more than you can chew,
and then chew it.

I took Chase out to dinner one night and he ordered clam chowder in a bread bowl. He lifted the overflowing bowl up over his face and took a giant bite out of the bottom, then caught my look of horror. "You're supposed to eat the bowl," he said.

Chase is an enthusiastic eater. I caught myself just before I sounded like a critical grandmother, and commented, "You have an interesting way of inhaling your food."

Chase, pre-braces

He replied, "It's because of my overbite."

People run marathons, they hike mountain peaks, they have babies or get married, move across the country—it's luscious to bite off more than you can chew and then chew it. If you haven't done it in a while, order yourself some clam chowder in a bread bowl and see how much fun it is to take a big chunk out of something really hard. Under that napkin you'll be smiling ear-to-ear.

P.S. My book is going to be published!! (Sorry. I'm gushing.)



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Congratulations!

Diane said...

Hurrah! I couldn't be happier for you. You need to include yourself in your gang of heroes! (after all, they came from you...)

The Grandmother Here said...

Details. We need details. Where are you getting your book published??

the wrath of khandrea said...

christie's boys are nothing if not entertaining!

great news on the book. be sure to make youreslf a button so all your blog supporters can post it on their sidebars. and let me know when you have all the details of its release, i'll post on my blog and on FB to get the word out. exciting stuff!! we can have a cyber-release party!

~Kristina said...

Congratulations!! Being published is a big deal.

Nancy said...

Congratulations!

Having a book published is a wonderful reward for years of research and sleepless nights spent writing.

It must be good for you to have found a publisher already...

Christie said...

I know. That overbite has kept him from doing homework or chores, too. Good thing we're getting it fixed.

And, um, the book is AWESOME. I finished it this afternoon and am DYING to talk to you. Call me!

Heather Scott Partington said...

Gushing? How about you gush some more?!?!? Details, details. Congratulations. I'm so happy for you.

Tiffany said...

FIRST: Congratulations! How about I gush for you? You are an incredible writer and inspiration!

SECOND: What a wonderful life lesson! I'm going to bite my next bread bowl!

diane said...

How exciting! Keep us posted.

Shelley said...

Oh MY GOODNESS!!! Congratulations! Can't wait o read it!