Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Book Club


I'm in the book club!
Tate Publishing is going to publish Son of a Gun!

Here's the story:
  1. My 86-year-old Uncle Mel came up with an idea for a book and sent me a recording last March.
  2. For six months I wrote night and day.
  3. When it was finally finished I realized I couldn't afford to get it out of my computer.
  4. That very day I got an email from Marta about her friend Natalie's newly published book Second Kiss.
  5. After ordering it from the Tate online bookstore, I noticed a link on the sidebar that said "Publish Your Manuscript."
  6. When I clicked on it, I was given a prompt to submit a manuscript using a pdf. I happened to have a pdf of my book right in my computer, so I sent it off on a whim. What the heck?
  7. Over the next couple of days I got a couple of follow-up emails with questions, and then a telephone call from an acquisitions editor named Stacy. She had read parts of the manuscript and wanted me to summarize the whole story. When I told her about Uncle Mel, and how the book came about, she was even more intrigued, and promised to read it over the weekend.
  8. When she called again, she offered us each a contract! (Uncle Mel got his the day he had double knee replacements.) We both liked what we read.
  9. Today I got a "welcome" email, followed by a phone call from Christine at Tate, introducing me to my production team, my editor, Rachael, the layout and design people, and Mark, my marketing manager. It will be for sale next spring.
  10. I'm joining a whole new kind of book club!

18 comments:

Debbie Couture said...

Congratulations! You must be so happy to have worked this hard and see the fruits of your labor. I am sure your uncle is very happy also. I'll have to look for your book in the spring. I enjoy your blog.

Christie said...

You are such a rock star. Can't wait to buy a copy!

Raejean said...

Congratulations! I love hearing your success story!

kenju said...

Congratulations and I know all your hard work will pay off!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Great work.

Grandma Kc said...

Congratulations!!! I hope the book is a huge success for both of you!

~Kristina said...

How awesome! I can't wait to pick up a copy.

Miranda said...

Oh my goodness! This is such big news. Congratulations and bravo!

Diane said...

Yahoo! I'm doing a dance of joy for you.

The Grandmother Here said...

Hooray!!!

Mrs. O said...

That is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations!

Mia said...

Congratulations! So happy for you :)

the wrath of khandrea said...

i feel like screaming! you earned this, chica. fantastic stuff.

Linsey said...

Tremendous! Can't wait to buy and read it. Congratulations.

Jake said...

Make sure that our house is the first stop on the booktour!

Misty said...

Woohoo! We all knew it would happen. :)

al + sar said...

Marty you are amazing! I cant wait to read it!

Abby said...

How exciting for you. Congrats! So quickly after you finishing the book great news! Can't wait to read it.