Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just Add Enthusiasm

Two Wows!

Kids know how to have fun. When they woke up, Lucy said, "Today's the Oma Outing." Chelsea made the sign of the WOW and said, "No. It's the Oma Wow-ting!"


It was pretty simple, as outings go. We rode the train 1/2 hour, walked across the street to Ben and Jerry's, and hopped back on the train for the ride home. The whole excursion cost less than $10. But the WOW factor was priceless. Here are a few highlights:
  • A cop, wearing his badge and gun, walked past our seats on his way to the exit. Four giant eyes followed his every step. Then a whisper. "Is he a policeman? I've seen one on TV, but I didn't know they were really real."
  • "Can we get grown up ice-cream cones? We have the kind that are flat on the bottom. I've always wanted one that is pointy."
  • "Is downtown a different city? Is it called Rib City?"
  • "I know we're downtown because of all the cool signs. That one says Muffler Heaven."
Wow. Sometimes we think kids need Space Mountain while they're just as happy to ride a city bus. It's all new to them. And seeing it through their eyes, it's all new to us.

Any ideas for cheap, simple outings that kids love?





11 comments:

kenju said...

I bet their sense of wonder will leave them in a few years, which is sad. But how cute is it to want a pointy ice cream cone??!!

Christie said...

I'm telling you - it's the simple ones that they love the best. My kids' all-time favorite place to hang out is the library, and I happen to love the price tag attached to it!

The Grandmother Here said...

Oma, you are the BEST. The rest of us will just follow your example. Thanks for leading.

marta said...

seriously, could those girls be any cuter?! i think it's their oma who fills in the cracks with magic. you always know how to make something like going to a cheese factory seem like a real 'outing'!!! can't wait for you & benj to visit the potato farm together.

Alyssa said...

I loved this "I've always wanted one that is pointy." Hilarious!

Sheri said...

Marty, I've missed reading your blogs this summer. Hopefully, things will settle down this fall so I can be a regular reader again.

Nina said...

Your two 'wow-zers' are absolutely darling!!!

ELLOUISESTORY said...

Great outing. Precious time making a lovely memory. Love the train ride.

Tiffany said...

Oh how this made me smile! Muffler Heaven!

Jake said...

I agree with Min...YOU add the wow factor to any outing!

polly said...

Those two cute little girls made me say wow! here's an idea. next time you take them to the fountains take a bucket with two scoops and have them fill the bucket with there scoops with the water from the fountain. It will take them forever, they will cool off and love it and it will cost you nothing!