Monday, December 26, 2011

What Did You Give?

Art by Eloise Wilkin

An African child listened carefully as his teacher explained why Christians give presents to each other on Christmas Day. "The gift is an expression of our joy over the birth of Jesus and our love for each other," she said.

When Christmas day came, the boy brought the teacher a seashell of lustrous beauty. "Where did you ever find such a beautiful shell?" the teacher asked. The child told her that there was only one spot where such extraordinary shells could be found. When he named the place, a certain bay several miles away, the teacher was left speechless. "Why . . . why, it’s gorgeous . . . wonderful, but you shouldn’t have gone to all that trouble to get the gift for me." His eyes brightening, the boy answered, "Long walk part of gift."

When you look at the living room today, and wonder why you worked so many weeks for an event that lasted only one day, remind yourself: "Long walk part of gift."

1 comment:

Satia said...

I actually had a fight with my husband this year about this. I was very busy with studying and the class would end the first week of December but after Thanksgiving he started putting up decorations. At first I said nothing, too busy with studying to mind. Plus, I rarely help with certain things. But then one day I saw he had put up the tree. Then the tree was lit. I finally lost it when he started putting the ornaments on the tree.

See, in his eyes, he was helping to make the house look festive but in my mind he was taking away all the joy I receive from doing the daily things that lead up to the one day.

Now he understands that the long walk is, indeed, a part of my giving. As it turns out, our tree fell over and had to be redone and since I was done with my studies, I was able to help. I am pretty sure I didn't make the tree fall over but I was happy it did. :)