Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Candle Carving

This tree was made from one block of wax. The red and green chain ornaments have been glued on, but the red and white curls are all part of the same green candle. It is an art form I've never seen before. Dee watched them being made, and was so impressed he bought several pieces and gave them to me for my birthday.

The candle is dipped successively in different colors of wax, and then while it is still warm the artist carves the sides down, shaping the shavings into twists and curls.

On the white ornament, the snowman is attached with glue, but the red, white and green twists are all part of the same candle. The green ornament is in the shape of an egg. The ribbon pieces are carved out and curled into the bow.


Creativity abounds at Christmas time!

Have you been inspired by someone's talent this season? Or are you one of the artisans?

4 comments:

Christie said...

Those are very cool. I have not yet tapped into my candle carving talents. I'm sure they're hidden beneath the broadway singing and ballet talents that are probably there. I just haven't found them yet.

marta said...

oh my! that really is rad! at first glance, i thought it was another dee creation!

Jake said...

You know B-rad is a closet candlemaker. He will probably have an etsy store soon!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh, I just love these candles. I have candles all over the house. These are just beautiful for Xmas. Thanks Marty.