Friday, March 16, 2007

Signs of Spring



Have you ever received a Heart Attack? Someone spreads little paper hearts all over your bed and your bedroom floor, almost like confetti; there are little hearts everywhere. They could be spilling out of your mailbox or scattered inside your car. It's not subtle. The little heart shaped symbols tell you that someone gave their love in a big, not-to-be missed way, and you are the recipient. It's a sign! You are loved.

I got a similar sign today. As I was driving I saw that someone was spreading spring around. I noticed the willow trees lining the stream were just barely tinged with green. Tree after tree was putting on it's spring outfit. Suddenly my senses were being attacked by signs of spring. Our baby pigeon's nest on the deck, the tulip greens peeking through the dirt, the forsythia turning yellow against fences everywhere. New life is surrounding me. I want one, too!

I want to clean up and clean out, start fresh and reinvigorated. I'm sick of dark and cold: I want bright and bold! I'm like a sunflower wanting warmth and light and a new yellow dress. I see bright green asparagus and big red strawberries, and brilliant pink rhubarb, filled with goodness from the earth and sun. Everything is reborn. I want to be reborn, too: to be more enthusiastic, more productive, more creative. It's spring!!

Spring is the giant symbol of the Resurrection. Everyone is in the dark, gray, dead of winter, and the signs of life after death give us hope!! There's a story in the scriptures where a man says he won't believe in God until he's shown a sign. The prophet replies,
"Thou hast had signs enough: All things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motions, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator."
As I'm looking around I see signs scattered throughout the earth testifying that God lives. He loves me and He has great plans for a wonderful future. He gives me a hint of it every spring. Like the sunflower, I just have to put on my new yellow dress and follow the SON, the way she follows the sun. I know I'll end up with enough light to grow and see my potential.


I love spring. It's fleeting here in the mountains. We have a lot of winter, spring flirts with us a little, and a few days after our last May snowstorm it's already summer. Maybe because she plays hard to get, I like spring best. It's a sign that Somebody loves me. That puts a spring in my step!

8 comments:

mama jo said...

springs my favorite time of year in california...the hills are really green and it's cool enough to wear a sweater, but the days are gorgeous...i love watching all the flowers bloom...

Anonymous said...

What a great way to conceptualize the season.

I am in California, and spring is here. We just need more rain now.

Jake said...

that was beautiful to read...especially because here the kids got sent home early due to freezing rain!

Amy said...

Join sun and moon and morning stars.
And sing with voices free.
We stand to witness of His love,
His love for you and me.

Face the Son!

Travelin'Oma said...

I was trying to remember the words, Nim! That's my favorite of all of Sue's songs. Thanks!

Anna said...

What a great post! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your comments. I look forward to coming back here! Have a great weekend! :)

Polly said...

I loved your signs of spring. I already have my rinoculus and pansies planted, and yesterday I went a bought a bright green dress, with green shoes to match. I was fully awake. I was way tired when I got home, but it was worth it.

Anonymous said...

this is more a question
where can I find information on rinoculus, I have seen it for sale in stores, but have not been able to find out anything about it.
Is it a perennial or annual, when to plant, etc.