At the beginning of each season I go on a free shopping spree. I shop my closet! Here are 12 tips for a new spring look:
- Make 3 piles: Reject, Repair, Wear.
- Try on anything you're not sure of. Reject the stuff that doesn't sing to you. Be heartless.
- Play dress-up. See what works together. Create outfits for your fashion show.
- Take pictures of outfits for various occasions. (Wedding, funeral, out-to-lunch, meeting.)
- Notice the orphans. Figure out how to make them belong, or send them to a new home.
- Chuck all the shoes that hurt. Stack keepers on the shelf, in a hanging shoe holder, or in boxes on the floor (write "black heels" or whatever on the box.)
- Untangle your jewelry, look over your scarves, and start looking for new ways to accessorize. (I peruse fashion mags, check out the news anchors, and window shop.)
- Pack the Rejects into a big garbage sack, put it in the front seat of your car, and drop it off at a charity the next time you go somewhere.
- Put on a good movie while you iron and mend your Repair pile.
- Tuck the out-of-season stuff out-of-sight.
- Hang your perfect wardrobe in a way that will help you get dressed: whole outfits together, separated by color, or by item. I have sections for jackets, cardigans, skirts, pants, dresses, "stand alone" tops, and "wear under something" tops.
- Give yourself a facial, a bubble bath and a manicure.
It's not selfish to spend time on yourself. In fact, I think more about myself when I'm dressed inappropriately. When I've put some thought into how I look, I can relax and think about making others feel comfortable.
(Come back to my closet tomorrow for some extra tips!)